I was deploying a solution one of the dev guys in the office built at a client’s site as part of a much larger application. The deployment was being driven through a Batch file using stsadm.
So the part of the script comes around that says this particular feature was "Successfully Deployed"… but none of the expected changes were happening to the site (It was adding a button to a document library item menu). IISRESET didn’t make it start working, manually executing that particular string under the guise of the MOSS Administrator… all activities were returning a "success" message of one kind or another, but the feature just was not coming up!
Eventually we went to the Farm features in the UI to see if we could discover anything else in there… no, in central admin it was showing up as "Not Deployed" as well. So we tried to deploy it from there (because we hadn’t tried that yet) – that worked fine… but hang on, what’s it deploying to this other server for???
At the end of the day, we were trying to use the -local switch to deploy to a farm that had 2 active Web Front end servers running (the Excel Calculation Server had the web front end active on the server, although it did not need it). My problem was the error message and the success message were both exactly the same "Successfully Deployed" alert…
30 seconds later, we used the -immediate switch which kicks off a timer job on all WFE servers, snoozed the batch script for a few minutes while sptimer did it’s thing, then continued on our merry way. Thanks go to Arjan one of the livePoint developers who happened to be onsite at the time for helping me troubleshoot this one… sometimes you just can’t take a successful message at face value!