Some details have started to come out about the requirements for SharePoint 2010.
- It can only be installed on 2008 Server
- It will only be released in 64-bit, which means…
- You can either install it on Windows 2008 64-bit OR Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
- You can only use SQL 2005 OR 2008
- ONLY 64-bit versions of SQL 2005 or 2008 will be supported
- You can only author content using a Windows machine and IE 7, IE 8 or (wait for it) Firefox 3 (I know, no way, right?) – Essentially the Browser MUST be XHTML 1.0 Compliant.
- IE 6 will continue to be supported as a level 2 browser, along with FF 1.5, 2, Safari 3, etc… also IE 7, 8 and FF 3 will be supported as Level 2 browsers on other Operating systems (although they indicate that they’re working on removing the restriction on the OS).
More info can be found here… – Announcing SharePoint Server 2010 Preliminary System Requirements