Listener Channel Failures, Process Activation errors, Licence Acquisition failure. It’s all happening today…

Just had an interesting error crop up at a client site. One of the team (Hi Daniel!) was building a SharePoint server and was halfway through configuring it, when it suddenly stopped working. 503 errors on all web sites on the server, and some very strange errors in the event log:
 


 
Event ID: 8200

Source: Security-Licensing-SLC
Log: Application
Level: Error
Details: License acquisition failure details. hr=0x8004FE33
 

Event ID: 5139
Source: WAS
Log: System

Level: Warning

Details:

A listener channel for protocol ‘http’ in worker process # serving application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v3’ reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.
 

Event ID: 5002
Source: WAS
Log: System

Level: Error

Details:

Application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v3’ is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.
 


 
WAS is the Windows Process Activation Service (you’ll need to know that shortly). I’m not sure what the root cause of this error is, but someone somewhere in Microsoft does. Essentially, if you are using IPv6 and have nominated a Dedicated Crawl Server, the SharePoint application writes some bogus entries to the Windows Host file, causing WAS to fail.
 
The solution is to either:
  • Set up the SharePoint crawl service so it uses all WFE servers to crawl content (as Central Admin is FUBAR’d, you’d need to use STSADM to change this property), or
  • Remove IPv6 from the Server NIC’s and restart the Windows process Activation service.

This then writes nice entries to the Hosts file and the problems evapourate like morning dew on a hot day. This is the site that we found the solution on – http://blogs.msdn.com/jmacleod/archive/2008/06/25/iis7-sharepoint-2007-fails-with-503-service-unavailable-errors.aspx (we used Workaround 2).

Cheers!
Brad

Advertisements

About Brad Saide

I'm a SharePoint consultant. I'm also slowly going bald, seem to have a permanent spare tyre around my waist and enjoy socialising with friends over a beer or 10. The last 2 may possibly be related. Started working with SharePoint when the first version was in limited beta release (participated in the Technology Adoption Program while at Woolworths) and have been committed to the adoption of the technology as a business enabler ever since.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Listener Channel Failures, Process Activation errors, Licence Acquisition failure. It’s all happening today…

  1. Ravi says:

    Hey Brad, Can you please post exact STSADM command to change crawl service to use WFE. I am having same issue. Central admin is not working. Thanks

  2. Brad says:

    Actually, I\’ve just had a quick look – and I cannot find one. The solution might be to fix the problem using option 2, then set it up with option 1, then switch back to IPv6…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s