For the last 5 months (ever since the first update to the Windows Phone, it seems) I’ve been having problems connecting my phone to the computer I first synched it with. I’ve connected it to other computers since then, but the one I hooked it up to first I just get no joy with. I just saw a blog entry come through my RSS Reader from Mick Badram (an absolute Gun on BizTalk).
To Paraphrase (and perhaps expand on his solution, which also helped me) – If when you connect the phone, it appears in the device manager but Zune does not open, and when Zune is opened manually the phone does not appear as a connected device, see if the following process resolves the issue:
- Close Zune and disconnect your phone.
- Shut down the Zune Auto-Launcher process using Task Manager / Process Explorer
- Click Start –> Run, type Certmgr.msc and hit enter – this opens up your Personal Certificate store.
- Under Personal –>Certificates, there is a “Zune-Tuner” certificate
- Right-click on the certificate and delete it.
- Start Zune.
- Plug in the phone. Wait for about a minute and the phone (and the certificate you just deleted) will reappear.