A division at my current client has recently rebranded itself, included changing all email addresses. We’ve built them a new site using SharePoint 2010, however we noticed the user information was not reflecting the revised email addresses…
User Profile had been set up previously and successfully imported all of the values at the time, but now there were no updates coming through. Another User Profile sync (using the same Sync Account on a different farm) was working fine, and showing the latest info.
Turns out the queries to the AD Server it had auto-discovered during the initial setup were timing out….
This error was the only clue that something was wrong (from the ULS logs):
Profile sync step <ClientName>_ADContainers (stage ActiveDirectoryFullImport) failed: System.InvalidOperationException: stopped-connectivity at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.FimStep.Execute() at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.SyncJobStep.<StartExecution>b__9(Object state).
And from the Event Logs (Blink and you’d miss it, because everything else relating to Profile Sync was working fine):
The management agent “MOSSAD-<ClientName>_ADContainers” failed on run profile “DS_FULLIMPORT” because of connectivity issues.
Discovery Errors : “0”
Synchronization Errors : “0”
Metaverse Retry Errors : “0”
Export Errors : “0”
Warnings : “0”
View the management agent run history for details.
Opened the Synchronisation Service Manager (miisclient.exe) located in
[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell]
Selected the DS-FULLIMPORT profile name (which had the same error message as the ULS Logs – Stopped-connectivity)
Opened up the Details window (which told me the job failed because of a timeout)
Then went back to the User Profile Sync Connection and changed the settings from “Auto-Discover Domain Controller” to “Specify a Domain Controller” and I specified a DC that was geographically local to the farm.
Kicked off an import and the problem disappears!
The AD Server the computer was connecting to was low on virtual RAM – As a result, when the query from SharePoint kicked off, it would run out of virtual memory, spaz out, throw this old chestnut and drop SharePoint’s connection…
Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.
I like it when the root cause is found – it means it won’t happen again once it’s fixed.
Fill Yer Boots! – Brad